Health Clubs are open in various stages across the country and Marketers are poised, ready to help club operators deliver the critical, Now Open! message. The challenges are, What the message is, How to package it, and by Which channel to deliver it. The NEED to come back “better than ever” has never been more important. Getting the content and timing right is critical. Here’s a breakdown of how to tackle things.
- The Message in early reopening stages needs to focus on Cleanliness and Physical Distancing. Current, former, and future members need to be convinced that the gym they’re returning to (and in many cases, considering), has taken significant measures to ensure their workout experiences are Safe and Sanitary.
- The first campaign back to market should EDUCATE and inspire CONFIDENCE. Talk about new cleaning protocols and physical distancing measures. Give access to documentation about everything being done every day to support a clean, sanitary facility.
- Stress that staff is thoroughly trained and in place to guide current and new members into the new experience.
- Create audience-specific content. Current members should get a familiar, Welcome Back message, while former members can be invited to re-experience the club again. Appeal to the prospect’s need to learn about the unique experience that awaits.
- Packaging should be such that Clean and Safe dominate the early content and worked into the brand message going forward.
- Think of the Clean and Safe messaging as you would normally position a promotion. Be brief and informative and use calls to action that include – reviewing new club policies online and scheduling private tours.
- Take and Use current pictures and videos that show the physical space as it is now, marked for physical distancing.
- Stay away from price-based offers and simply invite people to engage at whichever level they are comfortable with. Offer digital, in person and phone options in all ads.
- The Channel is determined by the audience and their current stage in life.
- Data-driven marketing helps club operators find the ideal new member acquisition targets and supplies direction as to which channel is likely to be the most effective by using demographic, geographic and psychographic elements to learn about the audience before trying to connect.
- Video tells your brand story like no other and should be used in digital channels and can be shared as a URL in printed collateral. Examples of what to feature in videos:
- Facilities that are clean, improved and marked for Social Distancing
- Staff can welcome members back and invite new members, too
- Members who have been back to the gym can express their fresh experiences
In summary, Create a phased Marketing Plan. Learn about each audience. Select appropriate channels. Deliver relevant content. Evaluate, measure, adjust and report on results to inform next steps. Repeat.